Bemrose recognises the importance of professional networks in developing our staff, improving the quality of provision for our own pupils, and wider system improvement.
We support our staff to engage with both formal and informal networks. Below are listed just some examples of this outward-facing work.
The following regional networks are hosted at the school:
- Health and Fitness network meetings led by Caroline Potts (Learning Director for BTEC)
- Maths AQA network meeting led by Ash Mistry (Learning Director for Maths)
- English Edexcel network meeting led by Chloe Woodhouse (Assistant Headteacher – KS3)
- Raising Standards Leader network meeting led by Caroline Spalding (Assistant Headteacher – KS3)
- The school engages in the city-wide transition portal. This has been developed and led by James Dachtler (Assistant Headteacher KS2 and transition)
The school is part of the PiXL network. Chloe Woodhouse (Assistant Headteacher – KS3) is a PiXL Associate for English, designing resources and working to support other PiXL schools to improve teaching and learning. Caroline Spalding (Assistant Headteacher) is a speaker at PiXL events including the recent ‘Festival of Leadership’.
Specialist Leaders in Education (SLEs)
A number of staff at the school are designated Specialist Leaders in Education. These are leaders with at least two years’ experience in a particular field of expertise and a successful track record. This role is centred on developing the capacity and capability of other leaders so that they have the skills to lead their own teams and improve practice in their area of responsibility.
Current SLEs include:
- Maths – Ash Mistry (Learning Director for Maths)
- English – Chloe Woodhouse (Assistant Headteacher – KS3)
Talking D&T podcast – Polly Jeffcott
Polly was interviewed by Dr Alison Hardy from The Nottingham Trent University for her podcast series about teaching Design and Technology. During the episode she shares the Year 9 Bright Spark (T-shirt) and how her teaching approaches and philosophy have changed through her progression as a teacher. Access the podcast here: http://talkingdandt.buzzsprout.com/288393/2144954-td-t9-catching-up-with-polly?
- UCL – Lauren Mitchell
- University of Buckingham Lecturer in Education (Residential training) – Bennie Kara
- Landau Forte SCITT accreditation of trainee teachers – Lisa Palmer
- Caroline Spalding (Assistant Headteacher) was a member of the advisory group for the Early Career Framework for the Department for Education
- Bennie Kara (Deputy Headteacher) is a Subject Advisor for the Oak National Academy English Curriculum
- Bennie Kara is a Professional Associate of the Centre for Race, Education and Decoloniality (CRED) at Leeds Beckett University
Conferences and teach-meets
In 2019-20, Bemrose staff delivered sessions at events including:
- TENConline – Anna Bloor, Meghan McCabe, Chloe Woodhouse, Bennie Kara, Caroline Spalding
- TMEnglishIcons – Anne Bloor
- Educating Lincs – Caroline Spalding
- ResearchEd Northampton – Caroline Spalding
- NED Talks – Caroline Spalding
- Ambition Institute summer series – Caroline Spalding
- ResearchEd Home – Caroline Spalding
- DiversEd Virtual Conference – Bennie Kara
- Educating Lincs – Bennie Kara
- NASUWT BAME National Conference – Bennie Kara
Awards and certifications
- Natalie Campbell, Learning Director for MFL is an Apple Distinguished Educator and Showbie Champion.
- Bennie Kara, Deputy Headteacher, is a Fellow of the Chartered College of Teaching.