The Bemrose School believes that every pupil has the right to lead a safe and healthy life be it in school or in the local community. School therefore works with pupils, their families and outside agencies to prepare students with the skills they need to remain safe and healthy. We safeguard and promote the welfare of pupils and staff. We work together with other agencies to ensure adequate arrangements within our school to identify access and support those pupils who may be suffering from harm.
We recognise that all adults, including volunteers and governors, have a full and active part to play in protecting our pupils from harm and that the child’s welfare is paramount concern. All staff members believe that our school should provide a caring, positive and safe environment that promotes the social, moral and physical development of the individual child.
What to do if you have safeguarding concerns
If you have concerns about the welfare of a child please contact a member of the safeguarding team by phone 01332 366711 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
The Safeguarding Team
- Designated Safeguarding Lead – Rebecca Broderick (ext 276) email@example.com
- Deputy Designated Safeguarding Lead – Louise Attew (ext 273) firstname.lastname@example.org
- Pupils Welfare and Safeguarding Officer. Schools Mental Health Lead – Karen Lamb (ext 252) email@example.com
- Child in Care Designated Safeguarding Lead – Tracey White firstname.lastname@example.org
- Safeguarding Link Governor – Ollie Shearer
- Out of Hours Safeguarding Advice. Safeguarding concerns can be registers at any time via email@example.com
- The Safeguarding Team – School Duty Number 07311 143 967
Alternatively there are a range of services you can contact such as:
- The Police 101 (if its an emergency, always ring 999)
- Derby Social Care 01332 641172
- NSPCC: National Helpline 0808 800 5000
- Childline: 0800 11 11
- Prevent Derby – 01332 643455
- National On-Line Safety nationalonlinesafety.com, here you will find resources and information relating to On Line Safety
- NHS Direct 111
- Crimestoppers UK: 0800 555 111
- Kooth – Online counselling for young people – Free, safe and anonymous online support.
- Derby and Derbyshire Safeguarding Partnership
- Force Marriage Support
- Helping Prevent Child Sexual Abuse
- Domestic Violence Support
- Derby Women’s Centre
- Stopping Domestic Abuse Together initiative
The Bemrose School supports ‘Stopping Domestic Abuse Together’ initiative. This means we receive direct communication from the police where any young person that attends The Bemrose School is affected. This allows us to support the young person.
The safeguarding policy can be found by clicking here
The online safety policy can be found by clicking here
Children in care (CiC) and previous children in care (PCiC)
The Bemrose School ensures that appropriate staff have the information they need in relation to a child’s looked after legal status, contact arrangements with birth parents or those with parental responsibility, care arrangements and the levels of authority delegated to the carer by the authority looking after him/her. The designated teacher has:
o Details of the child’s social worker
o The name and contact details of the virtual school head and the relevant support officer in the authority that looks after the child
o The name of the Personal Advisor appointed to support a child who has left care
When dealing with children in care and previously children in care, The Bemrose School will work with all local authority children’s social care, health and other relevant agencies and take prompt action when necessary to safeguard these children, who are a particularly vulnerable group. The Bemrose School has a named designated teacher, who works with the Virtual School, to promote the educational achievement of pupils who are in care, have left care through adoption, special guardianship, or child arrangement orders, or adopted from state care outside of England and Wales. The designated teacher has appropriate training, relevant qualifications, and experience. All CiC students receive additional care and support from our academic and Care & Guidance team.