We have a number of staff who are Qualified Mental Health First Aiders.
The training is renewed every three years to keep up to date with the latest information.
It provides people with skills based on the following principles:
- Spot the early signs of a mental health issue
- Feel confident helping someone experiencing an issue
- Provide help on a first aid basis
- Help prevent someone from hurting themselves or others
- Help stop a mental illness from getting worse
- Help someone recover faster
- Guide someone towards the right support
- Reduce the stigma of mental health issues
(Page 10. Youth Mental Health First Aid One Day Manual 2017.)
‘I am one of the many mental health first aiders here at The Bemrose School.
The reason why I wanted to become a Mental Health First Aider is because I believe it’s in my nature to not only put people first but I care an awful lot about the students here.
If I can make even a slight difference towards our students with how their thinking or feeling within my role, then that is the best feeling in the world to me. That’s why I do what I do!’